About Sussex County Ladies Golf Association
SCLGA was initially created as Sussex County Ladies’ Golf Club and they held their first meeting in Lewes in 1900, with their six founding members Ashdown Forest, Bexhill, Crowborough, Hastings, Royal Eastbourne and Seaford. Today, there are 58 clubs in Sussex affiliated to the SCLGA, with nearly 3,800 members. The county colours of canary yellow and blue were adopted in the 1960’s.
The Sussex County Championship was inaugurated in 1923, and all our County Champions have played inter-county matches for Sussex. It is now the Champion’s honour and privilege to lead the County team, and in recent years she has had an automatic place on the County Committee and the Selection Committee.
At the last AGM of the SCLGA the members gave unanimous approval for the business of the Association to transfer from an unincorporated body (SCLGA) to a Limited Company (SCLGA Ltd). This took place on 4th November 2019.
What Do We Do?
Today, we have 57 affiliated clubs with nearly 3,800 female playing members in Sussex. Our role is wide ranging, including:
- Provide a framework for amateur ladies golf in Sussex
- Promote and encourage play at all levels
- Identify and nurture talent
- Develop our elite golfers and select teams to represent the county
- Represent Sussex in national issues and debate
- Work collaboratively with Clubs and other organisations in pursuit of the above (eg the mens’ Sussex County Golf Union, County Development Officer and England Golf)
Everything we do is on a voluntary basis, we have no salaried staff. Our income is derived from the ‘per capita levy’ which clubs add to their membership fees and each club pays to be affiliated to SCLGA. We run Countywide Competitions which are fun and some are even competitive and ask that you support our efforts by entering events, since these funds are a vital contribution to our finances. We’re always interested in hearing from people and organisations who might consider a sponsoring some element of our work and the travel costs for the Junior and Elite teams.
Please keep your eyes and ears open for us!
Our AGM takes place every year on the first Monday in November at The Charmandean, Forest Road, Worthing, BN14 9HS. The 2019 AGM took place on Monday 4th November 2019, and is scheduled for 2nd November 2020.
The Board Members of SCLGA Ltd are:
- President – Jane Covey
- County Captain – Pat Johns
- Past Captain – Ann Carnegie
- Company Secretary – Judith Dingle
- Finance Director – Alison Hopson
- Competitions Director – Caroline Hawkes
- Director of Girls’ Golf – Louise Simmons
- Communications Director – Jacs Mosseri-Marlio
- England Golf Voting Member – Sue Smith